Sunday, February 22, 2015

Zanzibar: Forodhani Gardens

One of the great benefits of the venue for Sauti za Busara was the proximity to Forodhani Gardens. Forodhani Gardens is a recently renovated park along the main sea walk in downtown Stone Town located directly across from the Old Fort. There are many benches, a few gazebos, and plenty of places to sit where you can view the ocean below. 

Not only is Forodhani Gardens a wonderful place to relax during the day but at night it comes alive with an outdoor market. Tables are erected and dozens of vendors sell things like juice, fruits, Zanzibar pizza, kebabs and other tasty eats. One is spoiled for choice though annoyingly there are aggressive touts trying to secure your services. I joked that they must have different social cues whereby a small glance at the table means I am interested, any eye contact means I am interested, slowing down or stopping means I am interested and maybe even a non-response to their invitation to view their table means I am interested! Can't knock them for trying. 

I enjoyed my dinner at Forodhani Gardens each night of the festival. I had to be careful to select the fish that is fresh and sampled everything from octopus to kingfish. The most notable event occurred when we were waiting for our food to be cooked and a massive group came up to the table we were at. Turns out it was the East African hip-hop star Diamond Platinumz (of the hit single "Numba one") and his posse. Within minutes we were surrounded by people with their phones out taking pictures and videos. If I would have known he was so famous (friends later said he is like the Kanye West of Africa) I would have asked for a picture!



No comments:

Post a Comment