Sunday, December 20, 2015

December Holiday: Victoria Falls (Zambia & Zimbabwe)

Devil's Gorge waterfall on the far east end.
It's not technically Tanzania so I won't go into great detail but I did have a chance to head down to check out Victoria Falls. I met my sister down in Zambia (before meeting her I spent a day and also crossed over to Zimbabwe side) as well as did a short safari in Chobe National Park in Botswana. It was very cool to get out of Tanzania and see a bit of southern Africa. It was especially interesting to see the tourist towns of Livingstone and Victoria Falls as there were a lot of similarities with Moshi (my current tourist town of residence). I found everywhere to be a bit more developed than Tanzania though also with many similarities.

It was the end of the dry season at Victoria Falls and although I found the falls to still be gorgeous, it lacked much of the water found in many of the iconic pictures that I've seen. It was advantageous to view from the Zimbabwe side as it offered a much better view of the falls which were nearly absent from the Zambia side. The low water allowed us to do the "Devil's Pool" which consisted of taking a boat to the edge of the falls and swimming in a small pool on the very edge. Although a bit overpriced, it was a cool experience for sure. And I suppose you can't have everything because during the wet season the spray from the water renders it impossible to really see anything. Plus, the views of the dry canyons were beautiful even without any water.


Some ladies posing for a pic, Zimbabwe side.

Couldn't really see a great view, Zimbabwe side.

Climb down to the "boiling pot" on the Zambia side.

Looking over to the Zambia side. A few pictures down you'll see me standing on the edge of the opposite side shown here.

View from the far east section, Zimbabwe side.

View from the far west section, Zambia side.

About to enter Devil's Pool. If you look carefully you can see people swimming.

A view of me breaking the rules and standing on the edge. See a few pictures above for the opposite side view. Zambia side.

Devil's Pool, peaking over the edge.

Oh, just chilling on the edge of a waterfall, no big deal.
Oh, just fifty billion dollars, no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment