Sunday, October 9, 2016

Trip to Uganda

I think I've been spotted, by a chimpanzee.
This past week I mixed business and pleasure and spent a week in Uganda. I returned the the hospital that Ana and I worked at for six months (Uganda blog here). We were originally connected with the hospital because Ana's late uncle was a doctor there for 30 years and is buried there with a statue of him and everything. His impact was a huge and a foundation was created in his name. We sit on the board of the foundation and each year either myself or Ana goes to check in with the hospital.

I will blog more about the trips specifics in my Uganda blog but I'll leave some pictures here and say that it was really a great experience to travel a different part of east Africa. There were some small things that made me say, "Oh wow, we don't do that in Tanzania", yet there was a common and familiar way of doing things that made me feel like I hadn't strayed too far. There rainy season was a few months earlier than ours; they had phone network throughout the 8 hour ride to Kitgum; traffic police also had radar guns; they sold different food at the bus rest stops, wait, same ingredients, different preparation. It was really nice to get out of my Tanzania bubble and even though I had been to Uganda before, I had been coming from Spain so likely had a different perspective than coming from Tanzania now.

The main ward at the hospital which we are helping to refurbish.

Tea fields give way to the natural forest.

It was the rainy season and heavy rains made some places a bit tricky to cross.

Chimps nest.

Watching the chimps mate, build nests, and call with their loud bellows was a really a treat.

Scoping out Queen Elizabeth National Park on our way down from the escarpment.

The smallest baby hippo I've ever seen is next to the mom.

Great lunch spot. And sunset spot. And sunrise. What can I say, I milked a good view.

Great guests to wake up to in the morning.
Checking the crater lake.
Walking in the highlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment