Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Mwanza City

View of downtown Mwanza
I had been to Mwanza one time over two years ago (Trip I) and wasn't enamored with the city. Mwanza is Tanzania's second largest city at around 1,000,000 people and is notable for the industry and trade around Lake Victoria, nearby mining, and being the home region of the current president. Previously I had come as a tourist but this trip was for work. The workshop was scheduled over the Tanzanian independence day holiday and I didn't know that the president was having the celebration in Mwanza. As a result the city was busy as ever and I actually had difficulties finding a hotel when I arrived.

The town is large and sprawled and although it was busy it didn't feel overwhelming like Dar es Salaam can sometimes feel. I was alarmed at the huge population of street kids which seemed to be more than any other city in Tanzania. Having originally come to Tanzania to do monitoring and evaluation for street kids in Moshi the issue certainly still resonates with me. 

I found the city to be overall bland and even the attractions are a bit contrived. The nearby national park Saanane, which is nothing more than a few tiny islands 10 minutes from Mwanza city that was initially a zoo. The fish market is a cool place to visit if you are a tourist though the most interesting thing in my opinion is a visit to "Jiwe Kuu" a photogenic high point in the northern end of town that has some pretty rocks and a view.

Otherwise Mwanza was a decent place to come for a workshop, albeit very far away. Luckily I was already in Arusha and could catch a flight, otherwise it was a 14 hour bus ride from Arusha!

No comments:

Post a Comment