Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Guest entry (Ana): Random Tanzanian Seeks Relationship Advice

Since my partner Ana has her own interesting experiences here in Tanzania, I thought it would be nice to periodically have a guest post. Without further adieu.... 

This is a blog-worthy story that happened to me the other day. I was running errands around Moshi, as I have been doing almost everyday lately, and a young guy approached me in the street. I thought he was yet another eager vendor targeting tourists and trying to convince me to buy crafts, safari packages, sunglasses or any other thing I, for sure, didn't need.

I was on my way to the Coffee Shop (excellent coffee and constant electricity making it one of my favorite places) and started chit-chatting with the guy whilst walking. "Where are you from?, how long have you been in Moshi for?, what will you do here..?"... The guy surprised me when, after I said that I work for an NGO (non government organization), he asked what an NGO was. When I was done trying to make clear what an NGO was we had reached the street I wanted to take and I basically told the guy that I was busy and had to go.

He seem a bit baffled and said he will walk with me to the Coffee Shop and then he will leave me alone, but that he needed to ask me a question. I had no clue what he would be asking me but I thought it would be something about loaning him money, asking on a date, or some other bizarre request. What followed surprised me. 

"I have a German girlfriend", the guy says, "and I was wondering if you could give me some clues on the Mzungu's (foreigners) behavior."
"What?!" I answered, "Can you give me an example?"(Tanzanians always say this when they don't understand what you want).

He then tells me that he is dating this German girl and that they see each other every other week and go out dancing or for dinner. Turns out he wants to live with her and he doesn't know what to do. He knows Tanzanian women behavior but doesn't know what to do with a Mzungu. He also thought he didn't have enough money to maintain her. Very interesting question...After a long counselling session I convinced him that he needed to ask the girl in question because not all white girls behave exactly the same. He was surprised when I said she will probably have a job and didn't need to be maintained. And wasn't very happy to know she may just want a boyfriend and not be interested in marrying. When I added this bit he exclaimed with disbelief, "A boyfriend...just for leisure?!?!" 

Hope he is lucky in his conquest of the German female, although his description of the situation leads me to believe that she just wants a boyfriend to go dancing with...

No comments:

Post a Comment