Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Why did you move to Tanzania?

I have spent the last few years working in international development in a various countries around the world, mainly in community development and project management. My partner and I have been looking for a bit more stability, though stable jobs are difficult to find in developing countries with non-government organizations (NGOs). Also, finding a country where we can both find work in our fields (she is a wildlife biologist) can be challenging.

Nonetheless, with a little bit of persistence, I was presented with the opportunity to be the monitoring and evaluation coordinator for a small NGO that works with vulnerable children and their families based in Tanzania. Although I have done monitoring and evaluation as part of all my previous jobs, I had never exclusively focused on this aspect of projects. I'm hoping the job will provide a challenge, contribute to something meaningful, and allow my partner and I to live together in a country without having to worry about visas and immigration! (We are different nationalities).

I would like to be more explicit about my work, but at a previous job I had gotten into a bit of hot water with my candid blog posts, so I'd rather not link the actual name of the organization to my blog. If you are curious feel free to e-mail me and I'll send you a link to their site so you can learn more about what we do.

I have never been to Tanzania before, though I have six months of work experience in the fellow East African country of Uganda. I love not only the challenge of work, but the challenge of learning the history, language, culture, food, and everything else that makes each and every place in the world unique. I have signed a two year contract so if you've been having a tough time keeping track of me the last couple years, barring any unexpected change, you should know where I am for at least a few years!  

2 comments:

  1. Ben Jee congrats on new job. Thanks for keeping Yvonne and I in the loop. Stoked to come check you. --Brian

    ReplyDelete