Saturday, December 7, 2013

Mt. Kilimanjaro

Mt. Kilimanjaro as seen from Moshi. 
One of my favorite things about Moshi is the presence of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Simply referred to as "Kili" by locals, it is the largest free standing mountain the world and the highest in the continent of Africa. Kili is composed of three distinct volcanic cones: Kibo 5,895 m (19,341 ft); Mawenzi 5,149 m (16,893 ft); and Shira 3,962 m (13,000 ft). Uhuru Peak is the highest summit on Kibo's crater rim. Mawenzi and Shira are extinct, while Kibo is dormant and could erupt again.

Kili was first climbed in 1889, by a German and Austrian, along with a team of locals. Today there exist seven official trekking routes and I've heard it takes between 7-10 days to reach the summit. Although it is not as technically challenging as some mountains in the Himalayas or Andes, the elevation is still enough to bring on altitude sickness and the temperature dips quite low. People tend to think of Kili as an "easy climb" yet more people have died climbing Kili than Everest (though far fewer have attempted Everest). Still, it is estimated that about 40% of people that attempt the summit do not make it all the way. From my understanding, because of high costs of park fees and other costs, people attempt to rush the trip, thus becoming more susceptible to altitude sickness.

Kili is subject to the changing world environment, evidenced by the slow disappearance of its ice cover. Since 1912, there has been a loss of 80% of the ice cover. From 1912 to 1953 there was ~1% annual loss, while 1989–2007 saw ~2.5% annual loss. Of the ice cover still present in 2000, 26% had disappeared by 2007. It is estimated that by 2022-2032, Kili will be ice free.

As mentioned in a previous post, Kili always lifts my mood. It can typically be seen in the mornings and evenings, with cloud cover obscuring it during the day. However, it can disappear for weeks at a time, though it makes it all the better when it finally reappears. On my walking route to work there is a beautiful vista of the mountain and it never fails to lift my spirits. As someone who is from one of the flattest areas in America, the sight of elevation always makes me feel good.

View of Kili along my route to work. Every morning and evening that I see this it cheers me up. This picture was taken after a heavy rain/snow. 
There are a plethora of outfitters and climbing expedition organizations in Moshi, and I'm sure they make a lot of money due to the fact that most people don't travel with their gear. If I am walking around town looking like a tourist (shorts and t shirt), I'll undoubtedly be stopped by a few touts asking if I am interested in climbing the mountain. From what I understand, prices can range from $1000 on up, with prices contingent on the route taken, time spent, and quality of the gear.

I'm unsure when I'll have the opportunity to climb Kili due the cost and the time commitment. I would have a hard time leaving this place without climbing it and I know how things can be put off when living somewhere for an extended duration. I also experienced altitude sickness in my most recent trip to Colorado, so I'm aware of the proper time necessary to acclimate on the climb. Hopefully I'll get some visitors that are interested in making the climb and summit the highest peak in Africa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment