Friday, April 4, 2014

Rainy Season

The rainy season has officially begun here in Moshi. Though rains started about a month ago, we are now in a period of consistent rain. The rainy season marks the end of mango season, the beginning of growing cycles, and a time of cooler temperatures. Although it doesn't rain every day, it rarely goes more than two consecutive days without rain. 

I much prefer the rainy season to dry season for the sole reason of the cool temperatures, though each season has its pros and cons. When I asked one of my friends in Nigeria which season he preferred, he said, "Well, I like rainy season because it's cool and the crops grow..but...rainy season will disappoint." What he meant was that rain can disturb planned events, delay people arriving to meetings, maroon you under an inadequate shelter, and generally throw off the already delayed rhythm of life here. In Jamaica they had a phrase, "getting penned up", which refers to being trapped waiting for the rain to subside like a penned up animal. Still, I'll take the rain over the dry, dusty and hot climate of the dry season. 

Having lived through a few rainy seasons, I finally have the confidence and foresight to plan for the changes in the season. Washing clothes more often (they get moldy), having a good umbrella on hand (rain coats don't do the job), and of course, being a bit more flexible and understanding when something is planned and no one shows up because of the rain. When I first moved to the tropics I found it funny how people seemed to be "afraid" of the rain, but now I understand that with the relatively small range of temperature in the tropics, there is serious risk of getting sick if you get wet. 

One of the random skills I've picked up living in the tropics is riding a motorcycle through heavy mud. Careful not to brake or accelerate too hard, I've mastered the technique of riding with my legs spread, half balancing, half ready to put my feet down on the road to help balance. The majority of Moshi's main roads are paved, but as soon as you turn off the main roads you are greeted with dirt roads, thus this skill is an important one to have.  
The road outside my work. 

After walking for five minutes I have about 2kg of mud caked on my shoes. 

To deal with the caked mud, businesses and homes have these simple metal structures to scrape your shoes. 
I look forward to enjoying the cool temperatures, rainy days, and the variety of foods that will be available after the rains! It will certainly give me an appreciation for the rare sunny day and it will also reduce the amount of cleaning in the house as the dust won't be so heavy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment