Monday, June 9, 2014

Drugs: Khat

Bag of khat. 
Like the coca leaf in South America, the kola nut of West Africa, and coffee worldwide, khat is a plant that provides locals with a natural stimulant. Though similar in effect, khat relies on different chemicals and in my opinion is the stronger of the aforementioned natural stimulants. Khat (Catha edulis) is a slow growing shrub that contains monoamine alkaloid called cathinone, an amphetamine-like stimulant. When the fresh leaves are chewed it gives a very strong buzz that I would classify as somewhere between a caffeine buzz and an amphetamine.

Khat is a controversial substance as it has been consumed as a social custom for thousands of years in the Horn of Africa and Arabian peninsula. In 1980 it was classified as a drug of abuse by the World Health Organization (WHO) but remains legal and widely used in several countries, including Kenya (where I tried it).

Khat (locally called miraa) is sold in small bundles for 50 KES (roughly $0.60).  The leaves are removed from the stem and chewed with either bubblegum or peanuts to help maintain the consistency. The taste is bitter but not as bitter as I expected and most certainly tasted well, like a leaf. I eventually ditched the gum and peanuts and just chewed on it straight though the leaves got dry and required me to occasionally spit out chewed balls of khat.

I thought the effect of khat was quite strong. I was going to ask for a coffee when I arrived at my friends house around 2pm but I was instead presented with khat which gave a similar effect. I immediately felt more energized though not in a shaky-too-much-caffeine kind of way. I chewed for about an hour on and off and I didn't come close to finishing my bag, though my friend easily munched his entire bag. I felt extremely talkative, had a small body high, and perhaps a slight sense of euphoria. I definitely lost my appetite, which was convenient since I ended up not eating until 1AM!

In the end I'm not sure I would ever become a regular khat user as it is just a bit too strong for my tastes. I don't like having a suppressed appetite and at times I felt like I had a little too much energy. It's said to have some other pretty uncomfortable negative side effects such as heightened aggressiveness, manic behavior and insomnia. And although it's not associated with physical dependence it can cause psychological dependence.

However, I see how this plant is extremely popular, especially due to how cheap it is. And I was told that it's not just a drug for low-income users, rather even "business men and members of parliament" chew, though those who chew are most commonly men. So if you find yourself in East Africa and offered a chew green leaf with peanuts, you'll now have an idea what you're getting yourself into!


No comments:

Post a Comment