Sunday, February 8, 2015

Food: Crickets

Definitely a local storage technique. 

Packed in there tight. 

Crickets in hand
I went to visit my friend the other day and she had an unusual snack for me to try. She is from Mwanza, a region in the west of Tanzania with a distinct culture than the Chagga and others of Kilimanjaro Region. She said she recently had some stuff sent to her from her aunt and the local treat was included.

The crickets were prepared by smoking them, no additives necessary! I'd eaten crickets on one occasion before (in Cambodia) though they were sauteed in a pan with salt. These crickets were quite large and as a result a lot more "flavorful" than the crickets I have eaten before. The taste was not bad and I imagined if most people had a beer to go with them, most would find it enjoyable.

I have no issues eating insects; in fact they are a great protein source and in this day and age of using exceedingly more resources raising animals for consumption, it's even an ethical meal! Unfortunately, the cricket industry is not very developed in this region, so I guess I'll have to wait for care packages from Mwanza!

No comments:

Post a Comment