Saturday, January 30, 2016

Ngorongoro Crater Trip III

Ana enjoying the view of the crater.
This was my third trip to Ngorongoro Crater (Trip I, Trip II un-blogged). This trip was especially fantastic because the short rains had made the crater green and lush giving it a completely different feel than my previous visits. The crater remains indisputably the most unique and beautiful place in Tanzania that I've visited. The view from above on the rim is breathtaking and the feel when you're in the crater floor gives an almost mythical aura. The second time I went is when my brother came and he did not have time for a proper safari. I said if there is one place you need to go, it's the crater!

Aside from it being particularly green, we had amazing luck with animals, particularly with the rhinos. Tanzania only has black-rhinos, and compared to other safari destinations like South Africa, it was quite a small threatened population (overall critically endangered). The area in the crater and the number of rhinos is so small there is a precise count of 26. During my previous trips I had spotted one from a very far distance, in fact we spent most of the time convincing ourselves that buffalo were rhinos. Well, during this trip we had great luck with a rhino crossing the road about two car lengths ahead of us. There were several other vehicles but everyone held a collective silence in awe. Even our guide said he had never been so close!

Crater landscape.

Some lions right outside our car.

The crater looked inviting.

Rhino in the sunlight.

View from halfway up the rim.




No comments:

Post a Comment