Saturday, January 16, 2016

Zanzibar: Mangapwani Coral Cave and Slave Chambers

Note: I didn't have my camera so I lifted these from the internet.
We wanted to get off the beaten track a bit while in Zanzibar and since we rented a car we figured we could explore a bit. One of the places we read about was the Mangapwani Coral Cave and Slave Chambers. Located about 40 minutes north of Stonetown, the Coral Cave and Slave Chambers are located near to the coast and are basically across the road from each other.

We first went to the Coral Cave and found a few enterprising youth who stated they were guides. We paid a small fee and I wasn't a huge fan of their demeanor so we took flashlights provided and informed them we didn't really want a guided tour. They explained there were two ways to go in the cave; left, which didn't end and had low oxygen, and right, which led to some small pools and eventually the ocean.

The first path left was pretty cool as the light from the entrance faded and bats filled the ceiling. There was indeed low oxygen and we both felt ourselves gasping for air. I initially thought I was out of shape while my sister initially thought she was too scared.  I didn't realize she didn't like dark spaces (or bats) so we headed back up to the other side to check out the pools. Our stay was brief and unfortunately I don't thinks she was up to crawl through to the exit at the ocean but I was more than pleased since it's been quite some time since I was last in a cave.
Entrance to the cave. Note: I did not have my camera so these pictures were lifted from the internet.

Exit of the cave. Note: I did not have my camera so these pictures were lifted from the internet.
After the coral cave we crossed the street to the slave chambers. A young woman was ready to give us a tour which was brief but full of good information. We walked down to the slave chambers and then out to the ocean where we followed the path of slaves that were trafficked after abolition. The views of the ocean were beautiful and I was happy the two attractions were so close as it made the trip quite worthwhile.
Inside the slave chambers.

Getting all the information.

Walking out where they were met at the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment