Saturday, February 4, 2023

Rainy Season: Butterflies and moths

 

All these photos were taken on one morning walk.

I wrote about the proliferation of caterpillars a few weeks ago and sure enough, within 10 days of that post our area was swarming with butterflies and moths. I have always appreciated butterflies and moths but never really dug into identification and learning much about them. This year seemed like a good year to learn more. I recently obtained a butterfly net which will help immensely to capture fast moving and skittish specimens. Pair that with an unprecedented volume and diversity of moths and butterflies and it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity! 

There was really a two week stretch in January/February where each day would bring different species of both moths and butterflies. During the day I would constantly stop to try and stalk different butterflies. At night from 830 to 930pm I'd be taking photos and trying to identify different species. It was really quite overwhelming to keep up with but once I started to appreciate the details and their behaviors I couldn't stop!


No comments:

Post a Comment