Friday, February 21, 2014

Local hairstyle names

When I lived in Jamaica I remember thinking it was hilarious when I learned they called "corn rows" a more appropriate "cane rows" due to the prevalence of cane sugar. While I'm not sure what they call them in Tanzania, I did stumble on another culturally appropriate name for a hairstyle.  
Sugar cane row. 

Corn row, of the non-hair variety. 


Corn or cane row, depending where you come from. 
A popular way to cane row is to have the rows come together in the back at the top of the head. While in Nigeria I learned this was called the "pineapple" due to its resemblance to said fruit. I learned that in Moshi they call it "Kilimanjaro", while in Arusha they call it the "Meru". Each of these is named for the respective mountains that serve as the backdrops to the cities. It makes me wonder if we have a name for this style in America? Perhaps those in Portland call it the "Mt. Hood"? 
Kilimanjaro hair style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment