Friday, February 7, 2014

Newspapers and Media: The East African

UPDATE: In January 2015, the Government of Tanzania banned the periodical, The East African. 


Newsstands and hawkers selling papers are ubiquitous in Moshi. Whether it is a makeshift shack or a hawker walking around with his hands full of papers, it seems to be quite a decent livelihood. The papers are dominated by Swahili publications with a few English periodicals as well. One of my favorite things of living abroad is learning more about the local context and it helps that I've already spent some time in Uganda to give me some perspective. Still, there are so many events and politics that are foreign to me and obviously the events in East Africa are sure to have some influence on me and my life.

My favorite publication is the East African (1,200 TZS / 0.75 USD), a weekly publication based in Kenya, though it circulates in Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda. It provides professional journalism, excellent coverage, and provoking opinion pieces. I've been able to get informed about events such as a single visa for East Africa, corrupt Chinese railway management in Kenya, the conflicts in Central African Republic and South Sudan, and a variety of other issues ranging from education to health care. Because I read a lot of online periodicals, I love that it's a weekly with a focus on the region. Hopefully I'll soon be proficient enough to tackle a Swahili newspaper!





No comments:

Post a Comment