Friday, August 26, 2022

Local fruit

I've written about it before(one and two) but I absolutely love the ability to buy fruit and other foods on the street here in Tanzania. It's cheap, cut to eat, and there is often a decent variety available. I recently found myself in a village for a week and enjoyed the local services. 

Apart from the actual consumption, I enjoy the vibe at the fruit stand as well. I usually take a seat and eat a few oranges, maybe a piece of pineapple. It's nice to chat with the fruit vendors as well as the customers that come for a piece. Although there are a fair amount of processed food and candies, I appreciate the fact that the working class and average person will still prefer to purchase a fresh piece of fruit. It's also great that it is affordable making the decision easier.

Piece of roasted corn 500tsh (21 cents). A piece of roasted corn is a popular

Loaded fruit stand.

Each slice is 200 tsh (8.6 cents)

A quarter is 2500 tsh ($1.07) and a half chicken is 5000 tsh ($2.14)

200 tsh (8.6 cents)


No comments:

Post a Comment