Saturday, August 6, 2022

Maps of tribes in Tanzania

I have no idea what the source is for this map but it is one of those files that has been floating from computer to computer as I've lived in Tanzania. The richness of tribes in Tanzania is especially interesting due to the low infighting and tribalism exhibited by the tribes. Many Tanzanians credit Julius Nyerere's nationalistic focus and support of a "one Tanzania" which can be contrasted with Kenya's extreme and sometimes violent ethnic divides.

While these maps are interesting, one can't fully appreciate the richness of the tribes until you start to move about and travel to different areas of Tanzania. When I first moved to Kilimanjaro I frequently interacted with Chagga, Maasai, and Pare. But when I moved to Iringa the variety of tribes seemed to increase. Although the area is dominated by Hehe there are plenty of Maasai, Gogo, Bena, Nyakyusa, Barabaig, and Mbulu just to name a few. There is so much culture and I am grateful that Tanzania has a relatively nurturing environment for retaining deep cultural histories and values without provoking tribalism.

I've always found historical maps like this fascinating.

(Source: Lindemann and Putzel, unpublished paper)


No comments:

Post a Comment